Follow the simple steps below to achieve the 3D effect.
Shadow or 3D Effect
You can get a very cool shadowing or 3D effect (technically the effect is 2 ½ D) when you are burnishing or diamond dragging (this is a difficult effect to get with a laser). Just follow these simple steps:
Create text using a non-engraving or outline font. These are hollow letters that can be filled, for example. You can also perform this function using the Vision-Pro Shapes Tool (creating rectangles, stars, arrows and other polygons).
NOTE: If you are using a bit map, you will need to vectorize it. Then most likely you will need to ungroup the objects. If there is a box/frame around your object, select that and delete it.
- From the drop down menu, click ARRANGE and then CONVERT TEXT TO GRAPHICS
- From the drop down menu, click TRANSFORM and then SHADOW. Make sure the OBJECT box is checked.
- Then click the small circle/nub in the upper right of the selected text box. Drag it toward the upper right corner until you get the desired effect.
- From the drop down menu, click ARRANGE and then MAKE PATH
- From the drop down menu, click ENGRAVE, then CREATE TOOL PATH, and then FILL.
- From here you select the Tool (if you don’t have a burnisher or diamond drag option in the cutter selection, just select an .010 cutter—this is just for setting up the job. Use a burnisher or diamond drag cutter for the actual engraving).
- The FILL STYLE gives you many options to choose from. You will have to experiment to see which style give you the effect that you are looking for. Most often, the Reverse Spiral gives the best effects.
- You can also adjust the ANGLE OF THE FILL line patterns to increase the effect. Choose a 10-20% overlap.
People will marvel at the effects you created.